Leg Stretch Yoga is also known as Nalaka Uttana. Leg Stretch Yoga is important to maintain suppleness as we age. Do Leg Stretch Yoga stretch regularly and watch your flexibility improve. This warm up yoga stretches the muscles and tendons along the back of the legs and prepares the lower body for the more strenuous stretches. Runners, bicyclists, dancers and people who walk a lot should be sure to incorporate this stretch into their regular routine.
Leg Stretch Yoga Steps :
- Lie on your back with your legs bent, feet flat on the floor. Make sure your chin is not higher than your forehead. If you feel any strain in your neck, place a folded blanket or towel under your head.
- Raise your left leg to a vertical position. With the both hands, grasp behind your leg wherever you can reach comfortably, either ankle or cal.
- Gently pull your leg toward your chest. Don’t strain.
- To help increase the stretch, bend your leg and loop a tie or scarf over the sole of your foot. Grab the tie so that both your elbows are straight. Straighten your leg and gently pull on the ends of the tie, bringing the leg towards the chest.
- With each exhalation, allow your leg to come closer to your chest. Don’t force the stretch or you’ll only end up with sore muscles.
- If your lower back feels comfortable and remains flat on the floor, straighten the other leg.
- Hold for several relaxed breaths.
- Repeat with the opposite leg.