Proud Warrior Yoga Pose is also known as Virabhadrasana. An extension of Triangle Pose, Proud Warrior Yoga Pose is a slightly more advanced pose. It offers benefits similar to those offered by Trikonasana, with the added benefit of strengthening the leg and thigh muscles. Holding proud warrior yoga pose reinforces the message throughout your body, mind and spirit that you are a proud and fearless warrior, prepared to face whatever challenges may arise.
Proud Warrior Yoga Pose – the Virabhadrasana Steps :
- Stand tall with your feet separated about 3 feet apart or the length of one leg.
- Turn your right foot out 90o; turn your left foot in toward the right about 30o.
- As you inhale, stretch your arms out from your shoulders so they form a T with the body.
- Bend your right knee, forming a right angle with your calf and thigh.
- Take care that your knee does not extend over the right foot. Your left leg is straight, with muscles engaged and the sole of your left foot is grounded on the floor.
- Turn your head and gaze over your right hand. Shoulders are down and away from the ears.
- Bend at the waist as you “pinwheel” your upper torso to the right. If it feels more comfortable, place your right forearm on your right thighbone. Left arm is perpendicular to the floor. turn your head to the left or gaze up at your raised left hand.
- As you grow stronger, lower your right hand onto a yoga block or as depicted in figure 2.
- Raise your left arm directly above the right. Hold for several breaths.
- Straighten your upper body and then your right leg. Lower your arms to your side.
- Turn your feet the opposite way and repeat on the left side.